Friday, January 13, 2012

"A NATURAL RESOURCE" 6" X 6" Oil on linen panel

I struggled with the decision to make the edges of the eggs loose, or not. I can't erase from my mind that eggs are these clean, white, perfect ellipses, and I thought really loose edges would look sloppy rather than "creative." Silly of me, I know, but I just couldn't do it. Instead, I settled for texture applied within the egg shape with palette knife and brush. Hopefully, that will suffice. First time I've worked on eggs in a painting...very enjoyable.    

This painting is available through Daily Paintworks at:  http://www.dailypaintworks.com/Artists/cflatt-1045                                                                       

12 comments:

  1. Well, I think you concentrated on the right thing! All of the different reflections of color and the textures that you added really work. You captured the "egg-ness" of those eggs:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you said that, Libby. Thank you for the positive reinforcement.

      Delete
  2. Eggs: the world's hardest subject! nice job, someday I will attempt but I know I can erase smooth, perfect edges from MY mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. Who would guess the drawing of simple eggs could have so much decision-making involved?!

      Delete
  3. I love the way you painted the eggs Carol!!! Love the texture and love that splash of blue which adds to the beauty of this piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilda! Thank you for the nice words! It was a fun piece to do.

      Delete
  4. Great panting. Love the composition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Pam, for your comments. I'm grateful for the feedback!

      Delete
  5. Well done, Carol! I love the warmth of the shadows on the eggs that contrast with the cool blues of the bowl. A difficult subject, I think, and I like the way you handled it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia, it was a good learning experience for me. Some new challenges indeed! Thank you for writing!

      Delete
  6. Good work pulling the blue of the bowl into the egg via reflected highlights and shadows. It really makes these pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shelby. I do enjoy working with reflected light - sometimes I have to do some guessing, though.

      Delete

Powered By Blogger