Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Agave Abstract 6" X 12" Oil on masonite

                                                                      
I've been wanting to experiment with some abstract ideas for some time. It's certainly taken me a while to get started...working up the courage, I guess. I think part of it, too, is that I didn't really understand what abstract art was. I knew I liked some abstract paintings - others, I guess I just didn't understand.  Then, I ran across Mark Mehaffey's article about abstract art and it made more sense to me. I even ended up buying one of his DVDs where he demonstrated using acrylics on Yupo paper which was excellent in my opinion. At least I let go of my inhibitions concerning painting in this style.

I found that I prefer abstracts to be based on something in reality. That is, to use the concept of a real thing - a tree, for example - and do something with it that is unusual or unexpected. Maybe something emotional or conceptual. Or, just play with colors and shapes.

My husband is a photographer who photographs many plants and animals of our desert environment. Here is one he took some time ago of an agave plant on its way out.
                                                             
             
When they're in their prime, they are magnificent and some can be quite large. When they die they just sort of crumble and collapse into themselves. But, sometimes the colors can become saturated with vibrant greens, blues, purples and grays. Some of the shapes that come about because of the changes in the structure are interesting. I took his photo and tried cropping it in several ways to see what might make an interest design with lines, shapes and colors that were pleasing. Here, are some examples I found:


 
I think I could have gone another direction and used the shapes and colors as a starting place and not been so precise with my edges. Just put the paint on in some planned way.
Much to learn. Hopefully, more to come.

16 comments:

  1. I love, love, love your Agave Abstract. Beautifully linked colors and shapes. I am amazed to see how good you are at both realistic imagery and pure abstraction.
    Ah...so your hubby is a photographer - what a team you both make. Please let him know that I admire his eye with the camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie, for your very kind comments. It's a start for me anyway. I enjoyed the process and think I would enjoy it even more with a looser approach and maybe not know where I'm going until I get there.
      My husband was thrilled at your comment about his photos. He has been very generous in letting me "borrow" his work for paintings.

      Delete
  2. It's quite wonderful! You did a fabulous job. And I liked your cropped photos a lot also. I have done the same thing before (cropping photos to get an abstract image) but have never had the painting success that you achieved. Your skill is so evident in such a good way:)

    I like my paintings to be based on something also. I am not sure I ever envision a time when the materials themselves or my own emotions will solely guide my work. I don't think that is how my creative self is made. Abstract art can be so many things and it's important I think to find out where your personality, your style and your ideas all intersect with your materials. That's how I think any kind of art gets made.

    Off to read the article that you cited. You have another winner here:)
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby, thank you for your generous comment! I think you and I think alike on many things having to do with making abstract art. I hope you enjoyed Mehaffey's article. His comments about abstracts needing to follow the elements of art - - shape, value, line, contrast, color and texture - really struck a chord. Makes sense. There's a lot to learn, right?

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful painting! The way you have allowed the eye to travel through the painting.......wandering among those luscious colors. wow.
    I also use realism to start an abstract. You will see my latest effort in my next post.
    Keep it up. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I can't wait to see your next work. I've been watching your abstract efforts and have been very taken with your ideas. I hope I can learn from your efforts as we both make this journey! I greatly appreciated your supportive comments!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely fabulous work here, Carol! It's hard to tell which is the photo reference and yet I love the abstract look! Does that make any sense? Lol. SO beautiful and LOVE the colors! Another winner my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilda. You are always so generous with your comments. It was a challenge for me that took a while to complete in spite of its smaller size. I do look forward to trying some other ideas. Thank you for always being a great support.

      Delete
  5. Oh Carol, you did a wonderful job here, LOVE this abstract ! You get the idea of the agave perfectly , but still it is....well, abstract ! Do more , please !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words, Jane! I admire the abstract work that you do including your recent, "Maternity." So lovely and poignant! I know I could learn so much from you and am grateful for your inspiration!

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Sue, for writing. Nature continues to inspire me with the colors it displays. The colors in this agave were so vivid and harmonious. This is true of so many things, don't you think?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol this is such a beautiful and peaceful work. The colors and the movement bring a sense of calm. Truly wonderful. Oddly I just ordered Mark Mehaffey' s book from the library. Like you certain abstracts appeal to me. In fact the more I study others work the more appreciation I have for this particular art form. So glad you shared. Hope your December is off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment, Debbie. I'm glad you enjoy certain abstract pieces as well. It's so new to me and there is much to try out and learn. I'm glad you will have a chance to look at one of Mehaffey's books. I have his DVD on doing abstracts on Yupo if you ever want to borrow it. Just let me know. Thank you again for your thoughtful words!

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful subject, love the colours and shapes, there are endless possibilities to choose from, lucky lady to have such a talented husband, a match made in heaven!! Love your painting, a subject like that would look fabulous painted on a really large canvas.
    I wish you and yours a Happy New Year and thanks for all your support, here's to 2016 CHEERS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Diana! And, I am grateful to you as well for the inspiration your beautiful art offers and for your kindnesses throughout the year. Hope 2016 will be a great success for you in all ways! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger