Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Lobster Floats" 8" X 10" Oil on canvas SOLD

I had seen these floats in the past but didn't know they were specifically for lobster catching. I did some research and found they are attached to the cage that is lowered into the ocean. The float of course marks where the cage is located for later retrieval. They have numbers on them for further identification. I also learned that taking someone else's catch or floats is akin to cattle rustling. Makes sense to me.

I haven't painted on stretched canvas for a long while. I've been using mostly linen-covered wooden panels which I really enjoy.  It took a certain amount of "getting-used-to" again. If I had to choose between the two I would go with the panels as I like the way the paint just glides over the smooth surface. However, I feel it's easier to blend colors on the canvas because of the little "tug" on the brush that the texture allows. Both have their purpose, I guess.      

This painting is up for auction at Daily Paintworks  here .                                                              

4 comments:

  1. What a great subject! Really unexpected and I love the colors too.

    I like the spring of a stretched canvas; blending and moving the paint around seems easier I guess. But I have used boards also and just as you said, each substrate has its own benefits:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Libby. It was fun to do because of the shapes and colors, but I found I did this one with more defined, sharper edges than other paintings. There must be an exercise or some sort of preparation routine that can help with the "loosening" process.

      Delete
  2. Wow, love the colors and the subject, reminds me of the workshops with Helen van Wyk in Rockport where we watched the boats load traps and floats daily on our walks.I like the double primed linen panels because of the way the paint holds and moves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. I've never visited that part of the country and would like to someday. In the Monterey area where we used to live, it was a daily occurrence to watch the fishing/lobster boats go out daily for their catch. Very hardy and capable individuals that do that for a living!

      Delete

Powered By Blogger