Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Time to Enjoy 8" X 8" Oil on canvasboard

                                                                               
This oil painting took me awhile to complete. I had to wipe off after a couple of sessions because I thought the color should be different or the texture could be more pronounced. This, in my opinion goes back to pre-planning, or in my case, the lack of it. Why do I do this? Mostly, it's because I'm just too anxious to pick up the brush and begin applying paint. I know better. I really do. Values don't give me too much trouble, but when it comes to color a small color sketch would really save time and frustration, I'm sure. Is January 5th too late to make a New Year's resolution?

Robin Weiss, a painter from Washington state whose work I just love, begins with a monochromatic underpainting  in diluted oil paint.  He uses a burnt sienna/transparent red oxide-ish color. This is a big help with values and because some of it is left showing through the top layers, it adds additional interest when completed. I don't know if he makes a color sketch as well, but his finished colors are always rich and clean.

What excited me about this painting was using a large brush to apply color in the woman's shirt and the water. I've been trying to create a "looser" approach to paint application, and I was happy with the outcome in those areas. Yay!

Click HERE to go to auction page at DailyPaintworks.





18 comments:

  1. It's awesome Carol, really beautiful. Great work on her shirt and love the expression you achieved even though we can't see her eyes. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, thank you! You do such beautiful work with your portraits/figures, and I always am in awe when I see them. You motivate me to try harder!

      Delete
  2. This one is really nice! And I can see the results of that larger brush. You've got a great range too of more definite lines and some blurred ones as well. Beautiful color also.

    I wouldn't worry about the wipe off too much. It's like thinking while you are working and what's wrong with that? Being open to lots of possibilities seems like a nice gift when you are plugging along:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look at wipe-offs like that, Libby. Well put! Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. Oh Carol, this portrait is beautiful... I love the way she holds her straw hat and the shadows underneath it....beautiful skin tones and folds in her shirt...All perfectly painted....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Hilda. I feel ten feet tall with your comment. It was a challenge, but I am happy with the final results.

      Delete
  4. So nice to see figurative work from you and such a successful one. Though you say you had great trouble with the colors, your final result colorwise is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really drawn to figures, Shirley, and want to improve in that area. You're a wonderful example of a highly-skilled figure artist!

      Delete
  5. Every painting is a challenge and we learn something with every one, much better than churning out the same ol', same ol' ! That's the joy of it, I think it's hard to paint loose and you have done a great job with this lady. Love her hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diana. You're correct in saying that each painting has its own skills to learn. It's been hard for me to paint loosely, and with this subject's shirt, I felt one of those "Hooray!" moments.

      Delete
  6. The light catching on the hat and face is quite wonderful, Carol. And her fingers holding the brim is totally awesome... I say awesome because I have a hard time painting hands so I do admire your ability..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. The photo, one from WetCanvas Reference Library, was taken at a good time of day with wonderful light. The photographer certainly captured this woman well.

      Delete
  7. Like what you did here. Scraping is necessary from time to time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, that is so true. And sometimes it works out better than what I had planned in the first place!

      Delete
  8. Lovely portrait--joyful colors expertly handled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What nice things to say, Susan. I'm delighted I found your beautiful work to enjoy and admire. Your subject manner really appeals to me!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful, strong painting! I love the looseness you achieved in the shirt and that great shadow on her back from the hat. Her elbow looks like it's breaking the plane of the canvas . . . that angle and the bright color gives it so much strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, I always enjoy hearing from you as I respect you and your work so much! The "looseness" in the shirt just kind of happened really. My tendency was to "neatify" it, but I'm glad I held back. Thank you for your comments!

      Delete

Powered By Blogger